Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Adventure Begins...



So...what is it that started me on this organic purse adventure?  Well, like most things in life, to explain the present you have to understand the past.

Up until recently my existence could perhaps best be described as being "squeezed into a really uncomfortable version of myself" (to quote my husband). I'd have to say that's an accurate summation. I had come to believe that there was great virtue in conforming to what other people expected of me. (Or more accurately, conforming to what I thought other people expected of me.) 

It took me a long time and a lot of lessons learned to realize there was no happiness to be found in such a life.  Over the last couple of years in particular, I've become much more in tune with who I Really am. And I realized what I've always known deep down: I like myself. 

It took a while for this new-found Realization to grow into outward Courage.  But eventually it did. And it showed.  I gave up "conservative" clothes and stopped taking my fashion cues from other people. In other words, I embraced my inner hippie.  The problem was every time I put on my Me clothes and went out the door, I was grabbing a designer-label, patent-leather-red purse. And it just didn't fit.

I kept hoping to make time to shop for a new purse, something that would reflect things I believe in and value...but alas, shopping is Not one of those things. Creating, however, is. It nearly tops my list. It satisfies, engages and liberates me like nothing else I know.

So, I set my mind to it and with only a hand-sketched pattern borrowed from a fellow blogger, an empty burlap rice sack and some clearance table canvas, I got started. 

I resurrected the sewing lessons my mom had given me as a 9-year old and...some hours (and a few instructive mistakes) later...I had reached the first stop on this organic purse adventure.








No comments:

Post a Comment