Friday, April 19, 2013

Today I Rediscovered...

4.19.13   Today I rediscovered the wonder of Handmade.

__________________________________________

Last week, I was in Desperate need of some time off. Some time with no commitments, no appointments, most of all, no schedule. I have a very unhealthy relationship with the clock. As its tiny hands tick away the minutes and the hours, I feel more and more pressure each time I see its little face.  It fuels my feelings of inadequacy and makes me feel that I can never keep up. So some days, I boycott all time keeping devices. I've even gone so far as to put a sticky note over my computer clock so I can be in the moment, whichever moment that may be.

Anyhoo, on this particular day, I decided to while away some delicious free time at a local boutique/gallery. (by wonderful coincidence, it happened to be cold and rainy. All the better to be alone with my musings...) They sell only handmade items, from jewelry to greeting cards to clothing, etc. They also maintain a rotating art gallery in the back of their space. I can't say the art is ever "my" style but I can say it is always eclectic, unique and a great chance to expand my mind, by peering into the minds of others.

I won't divulge all the details of my time there (after all, they were my moments and my musings), but I do want to share one very important thing. As I wandered through that little space, I rediscovered the wonder of the handmade....As I turned over each item and took time to soak up the intricacies of its construction, I was just amazed at the singularity that is The Individual. No matter how simple the work of art may seem, I know that, even presented with the same raw materials and tools, I would never have decided upon quite the same use of them as did the Artisan whose work I'm holding. And that fascinates me.

When I interact with something handmade, I feel very linked with the Artist. I can sense the time that went into it, I can see the wheels turning in their mind as they bring something entirely new and unique into being, and I feel a real sense of awe at being allowed to share in the life of their brain-child.

I left that little space with my sensibilities refreshed and a little spring in my step, hoping I could continue to share my vision with the world, along with a generous helping of Wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment